Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Transferring 18fps to high qual. video help!!!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member harobed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi there you guys
    This is a question from a novice s8 user. When I started filming I only had an 18fps camera borrowed from a friend. Some of the footage has come out really nice and I want to include it in my film. (I'm mixing s8 with digital video). I'd like to transfer the s8 footage to Beta or miniDV before I edit but from what I can gather I'm going to have a flicker problem because I didn't shoot 24fps (I live in PAL land by the way). Does anyone have any advice for me on the best way to deal with this siutation? I know the result is going to look a bit cranky but the project is about cranky old-fashioned seaside resorts in England so perhaps it won't matter too much. I suppose my question is how to make the best out of a bad situation?!

    I'd really appreciate your views.

    Thanks so much for your help.

    Deborah

    PS Though the speed may be a bit of a disaster I'm keen to look after the colour as much as possible, which has come out really lovely, so transfer method is an issue

    ------------------

  2. #2
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    heres one option.
    You could transfer the film to video at 24/ 25 fps.
    This will speed up the footage, but reduce the flicker.

    Then when you come to editing the video depending on what you are editing on - you could slow that section down a little. (The video editing software would effectively add a few extra frames here and there, which you probably wouldnt notice.) Either that of leave it a little over cranked (sped up)

    Good luck


    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you won't have a flicker problem. when you send your film out, the folks who do the transfer will use the correct speed. you only get flicker when you use the wrong projector in your film chain. so unless you plan on doing this yourself, and as long as you get a "professional" transfer, you'll have no problems.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member harobed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for that, much appreciated
    Deborah

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Denial701's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2022
    Posts
    178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Transferring 18fps to high qual. video help!!!

    Hi there! Shooting Super 8 at 18fps and transferring to digital in PAL can cause flicker, but it’s manageable. A professional telecine service with frame-by-frame scanning is best. The quirky look might actually suit your seaside theme, so embrace the imperfections—they’ll add charm to your project. There are many different devices for the video like Remove Background From Video & Remove BG or Erase Video Background

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member jhonew32's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2023
    Posts
    108
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Transferring 18fps to high qual. video help!!!

    When transferring 18fps footage to a high-quality video format, it’s important to preserve both the visual smoothness and the original cinematic feel. Since 18fps is below the standard playback rates like 24fps, 30fps, or 60fps, direct conversion can cause choppy playback if not handled carefully. The best approach is to use frame interpolation or motion-compensation techniques Check this out in professional video editing software to generate in-between frames, resulting in smoother motion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •